Administrative Responsibilities of the School
What are the responsibilities of the Section 504 Coordinator?
Each school principal must designate a Section 504 Coordinator or assume this role. The Section 504 Coordinator’s responsibilities include the following:
- Attend initial Section 504/I&RS Team meetings and attend or designate a designee to attend manifestation meetings to represent the team. Attend other Section 504/I&RS Team meetings as necessary and retain accountability for compliance to Section 504.
- Collaborate with Section 504 case managers to ensure that all staff members are complying with each student’s Section 504 Plan and ensure attendance of appropriate staff at a section 504 meeting.
- Ensure a student’s Section 504 status is known before any disciplinary sanction is imposed that would result in a student being excluded for more than 10 cumulative school days per school year.
- Ensure all Section 504/I&RS Team meetings are conducted in accordance with our school protocol and BOE Policy 2418.
- Ensure training is provided to Section 504 case managers and school-based staff annually.
- Ensure that any person who wishes to refer a student to the Section 504/I&RS Team shall have access to referral forms, including parents/guardian, staff, and students.
- Respond to student, staff, and parent Section 504 inquiries and referrals, as appropriate.
What are the responsibilities of the Section 504 Case Manager?
The Section 504 Coordinator must designate Section 504 Case Managers. These individuals will be the student’s guidance counselor.
The Section 504 Case Manager responsibilities include the following:
- Attend all Section 504/I&RS Team meetings for the students to whom they are assigned.
- Ensure all Section 504/I&RS Team meetings are conducted in accordance with our school protocol and BOE Policy 2418and assist in preparing documents for the meeting.
- Obtain any necessary data from the appropriate staff members, i.e. classroom teacher, other staff, or nurse to prepare for the meeting.
- Ensure that necessary NHRHS employees are aware of student Section 504 Plans, as appropriate.
- Ensure that all Section 504 documents for their assigned students are completed appropriately.
- Receive and manage Section 504 documents for assigned students and place in the student’s Section 504 file in the student’s cumulative folder.