Walking is a physical education elective offered to students in grades 10-12. Weather permitting; this class will take place out side for the remainder of the marking period. The walking course was designed to introduce the benefits of power walking to the students.
· Demonstrate the appropriate technique for power walking.
· compare and contrast the benefits of walking as a cardiovascular activity
· be introduced to a variety of training techniques designed to achieve different goals in personal fitness.
The goals of the class will vary from day to day.
· Pedometers: a certain number of steps should be achieved in order to earn full credit for the day.
o Ex: 3800-4000 for an A, 3600-3799 for a B, 3400-3599 for a C, 3200-3399 for a D, fewer than 3200 F
· Track: a certain number of laps should be completed in order to earn full credit for the day.
o Ex: 8 for an A, 7 for a B, 6 for a C , 5 for a D, 4 or less F
· Heart Rate: students will learn to calculate their target heart rate zone and when “spot” checked need to be in their zone.
o Ex: In the zone for an A, 5 beats per minute less for a B, 10 beats per minute less for a C, 15 BPM less for a D, more than 15 BPM less F