Here's how it works:
1) Click here to see the American Library Association's list of Outstanding Books for the College Bound and Lifelong Learners. Click on each category to see all the books. There are about 25 books in each of five categories: Arts & Humanities, History & Cultures, Literature & Language Arts, Science & Technology and Social Sciences.
2) Decide whether you want to read 1, 2, or 3 books from each category. You must read at least one from each category, that is, five books (Bronze level), in order to participate. Of course, for a greater challenge, you can decide to read 10 books (Silver level) or even 15 (Gold level)!
3) Sign up for Outstanding Books Challenge by joining the OBC class on www.turnitin.com. The TurnItIn Class ID is 5619721, and the enrollment password is "library"
4) For each book you read, write a 1-2 page review that shows your understanding of the book. For more specific guidelines on the requirements for the review, click here. Reviews will be submitted through TurnItIn.com. All reviews are due by Wednesday, May 1, 2013.
5) In the spring, celebrate your accomplishment! All who successfully complete their commitment will receive certificates extolling their achievement, a dessert party, and a prize.
6) Students who completed the O.B.C. last year have many more choices this year! If you would like to participate again, see Ms. Goldberg to plan your list of books to read for this year's Challenge.
Stop by the Library for more information. Take the Challenge!